Book title: Alien & Invasive Animals. A South African Perspective
Authors: Mike Picker; Charles Griffiths
Publisher: Random House Struik
Cape Town, South Africa 2011
Softcover, 15x21 cm, 248 pages, throughout colour photos
While alien plants have been well publicised, Alien & Invasive Animals - A South African Perspective is the first book to be published on alien animals of Africa. It describes the history of each invasion, and the ecological and economic impacts in South Africa; and it discusses the effect of introduced biocontrol agents, usually insects, which are also alien species released deliberately to control problem plants.
Key features are:
• Each group of animals is covered in a separate chapter written by a specialist in the field
• Colour photographs of each species
• Maps for each species’ native and introduced range, and a detailed map of its spread in South Africa
• Text covers identification and biology, distribution, impacts and control for the particular species
• Alien animals are considered in all habitats, including freshwater, terrestrial and marine
Alien animals from freshwater, terrestrial and marine habitats are covered. A more comprehensive listing of alien animals in South Africa is also provided in the Appendix. The book will be an essential reference for conservationists, farmers, reserve managers, gardeners, anglers, biology students and researchers, and of interest to the lay public.