Three views in the past of Windhoek, by Annemarie Heywood and Brigitte Lau.
One of the most beautiful farms in Windhoek's vicinity is the farm Regenstein, situated in the Auas mountains. It is described in the booklet Three views in the past of Windhoek, by Annemarie Heywood and Brigitte Lau.
Today it is the property of the controversial Cultura 2000. In German colonial times Regenstein belonged to the administration and was used as a safe place for horses belonging to the government as well as the Schutztruppe against the African Horsesickness (pestes equorum): it was also used by the Truppe to accommodate their troops. Since the records of the Truppe are unfortunately lost, information on the history of the place prior to 1915 is scant. The first colonial military leader, Curt von Francois, early on recognised the importance of the location for keeping his horses free from the sickness that befell most of the troops' horses in Namibia. During the rainy season when horses were most susceptible to the deadly virus fever, they were brought to high lying areas such as Regenstein (which includes the Aredareigas plain). Thus Regenstein had considerable strategic importance for a mounted colonial military based at Windhoek. This was also recognised by Hendrik Witbooi, the Nama leader, who managed to effectively immobilise the German Truppe after his headquarters at Hoornkrans had been ruthlessly raided and burnt by von Frangois in April 1893. Aware that in April the Truppe's horses would be at Regenstein, he followed the Commissioner, and seized not only 40 of the remaining 110 Schutztruppe horses from the place, but also intercepted another 130 purchased by von Francois and on their way to Regenstein. After cures had been found for the virus, Regenstein was used as a station for the Erste Kompagnie, and manoeuvres were often held there. The area was also used for recreational purposes, and officers as well as soldiers ventured there for a day out of Windhoek. From 1899 to 1914 numerous buildings were constructed, of which only a few survive; the adventurous road up the mountain, dams, cattle posts and water holes were also built - as well as a horse racing course. The Union authorities' policy after 1915 was to privatise crown land. From 1916 state farms were made available for settlement. Regenstein was included in the scheme. In June 1921 Regenstein - then 8676 ha - was advertised. An H. J. de Jager was selected from the applicants and allotted the farm for five years, with an option of purchase at the end. De Jager lived on Regenstein from 1922-1927, when his option (in the meantime extended) was transferred to Adolf Gutknecht. Gutknecht purchased the property for £2.184 - then a fortune - in 1930. The farm has changed hands seven times since then; portions were sold off to neighbouring owners and other settlers until 1986, when it was sold to the Administration for Whites to establish a youth camp promoting 'white culture'. [...]
This is an excerpt from the book: Three views in the past of Windhoek, by Annemarie Heywood and Brigitte Lau.
Titel: Three views in the past of Windhoek
Compilation: Annemarie Heywood; Brigitte Lau
Sponsor: Namibisch-Deutsche Stiftung für kulturelle Zusammenarbeit
2nd printing, Windhoek 1993
ISBN 991630236 / ISBN 9916-30-23-6
Softcover, 15x21 cm, 34 pages, 23 bw-photos, 2 maps
Heywood, Annemarie und Lau, Brigitte im Namibiana-Buchangebot
Three views in the past of Windhoek focusses on very interesting aspects of local history.
Printed in their original German language, this is Part I of the Carl Hugo Hahn Diaries (Tagebücher) 1837-1860, covering 1837-1845.
Namibia in Jonker Afrikaner's Time is a study entirely founded on sources found in various Namibian and South African archives.
"Zwischen Waterberg und Sandfeld: Die Verantwortlichen am Schicksal der Herero" ist Band 1 der Reihe Befunde und Berichte zur Deutschen Kolonialgeschichte.
This documentation consists of the correspondence of the manager of the Matchless Copper Mine in 1857, C.J. Andersson.
A key record in the documentation of trade and politics in Central Namibia 1860-1864 and the life of Charles John Anderson.
The original Zoo Park architecture (1887-1958) has vanished. The Zoo Park is located in the center of Windhoek, this is its history documentation.
The diaries of Carl Hugo Hahn 1837-1860, this Volume 5 includes registers and indexes only.
Presented in original German language, this is Part IV of the Carl Hugo Hahn Diaries (Tagebücher) 1837-1860, introducing to the years 1856 to 1860.
Presented in original German language, this is Part III of the Carl Hugo Hahn Diaries (Tagebücher) 1837-1860, which cover the time span 1852-1855.
Printed in the original German language, this is Part II of the Carl Hugo Hahn Diaries (Tagebücher) 1837-1860, covering the years from 1846 to 1851.
The Hendrik Witbooi Papers is the first authentic translation of Namibia's greatest leader at the time of colonial impact.