Braai, by Hilary Biller, Jenny Kay and Elinor Storkey
Hilary Biller, Jenny Kay and Elinor Storkey are seasoned food experts and members of The Star's 'Angela Day'. Brai introduces 166 modern recipes to share with family and friends is a collection of contemporary braai recipes for modern living.
This title offers a collection of contemporary braai recipes, from beef, lamb, pork, chicken, game and seafood through vegetables, salads, breads and desserts. In Braai, you will find a host of ideas to liven up your outdoor entertaining. Traditional favourites have been given a twist and new ideas are offered to inspire both novice braaiers and more experienced cooks. The uncluttered design, superb photographs and simple instructions make this cookbook a must-have for everyone who relishes a relaxed lifestyle. Braaiing is a way of life for South Africans. It is the ideal way to entertain friends and family and, quite literally, takes the heat out of the kitchen. Whether your preference is cooking over an open flame or on a gas-fired barbecue, these recipes are bound to inspire you to get outdoors and take advantage of our fresh air and the finest local products.
Blackened Beef with Saffron Mayonnaise
2 cloves garlic, crushed
15 ml chopped fresh ginger
3 chillies, seeded and sliced 10 ml fennel seeds
3 ml turmeric
5 ml ground coriander
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small beef fillet or whole sirloin
250 ml olive oil 1 egg yolk
10 ml lime or lemon juice
1 generous pinch saffron threads
10 ml hot water
coarse sea salt
1. Make a paste with the garlic, ginger and chillies in a mortar and pestle. Add the fennel seeds and turmeric. Blend in the coriander and onion. Rub the paste onto the fillet or sirloin. Massage it into the meat, cover and set aside at room temperature for 1 hour.
2. While the meat is marinating, make the mayonnaise by whisking the olive oil into the egg yolk drop by drop using a food processor. Add the lime or lemon juice and keep whisking until the mixture thickens. Add the saffron threads to the hot water, then blend this into the mayonnaise and season with the coarse salt.
3. Roast the beef over high heat on a griddle or over a braai until medium-rare or cooked as desired. Slice and serve with the saffron mayonnaise and a salad.
Strawberry and Asparagus Salad with Parmesan Crisps
1 bunch fresh green asparagus
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pillow packet rocket
washed balsamic vinegar, plus 80 ml extra for the reduction
30 ml honey
250 g strawberries
250 ml freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Coat the asparagus with a little olive oil and cook on a hot grill pan until tender. Season with salt and pepper. Toss the rocket leaves lightly in a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, just to moisten them.
2. To make the balsamic reduction, combine 80 ml balsamic vinegar and honey in a small saucepan over low heat. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently until the mixture reduces and thickens slightly.
3. To make the Parmesan crisps, place 4 mounds of about 60 ml Parmesan onto a baking tray lined with baking paper, spaced well apart, and place in the oven at 180 °C for 5-8 minutes until melted and golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool.
4. Arrange the asparagus, rocket and strawberries on serving plates and place Parmesan crisps on top. Drizzle with the balsamic reduction. Serve immediately.
This is an excerpt from the book: Braai, by Hilary Biller, Jenny Kay and Elinor Storkey.
Author: Hilary Biller; Jenny Kay; Elinor Storkey
Publisher: Random House Struik
Imprint: Struik Lifestyle
Cape Town, South Africa 2008
Softcover, 20x25 cm, 176 pages, throughout photos
Biller, Hilary und Storkey, Elinor und Kay, Jenny im Namibiana-Buchangebot
Braai offers a collection of contemporary braai recipes, from beef, lamb, pork, chicken, game and seafood through vegetables, salads, breads and desserts.
Angela Day Modern Classics represents a collection of their most popular recipes, classics with a modern twist, suitable as family fare or gourmet entertaining.
Fuss-free Braais proivdes interesting new braaing ideas, to prepare outdoors on a gas, wood or charcoal fire.
Weber Braai Bible, winner of the 2014 Gourmand World Cookbook Award, is a groundbreaking compendium on braaing South Africa and Namibia style.
Plenty hints and tips to braai chicken, fish and various cuts of meat
On the Coals is an innovative new collection of South African braai recipes and ideas for the keen outdoor cook.